Written By: Shawn Lim, The Drum
Havas and Singapore-based humor platform SGAG have collaborated on a report that uncovers insights to help brand marketers build effective strategies and brand initiatives to engage with Gen Z.
The report, called ‘Finding Success with Gen Z in Singapore’, unveils five codes that Gen Z in Singapore live by. These codes give an insight into the role of media, consumption patterns, and the types of content consumed, prevalent in their lives.
What are the five codes?
1. Media as a compass: Navigating their life through meaningful media. For Gen Z’s media has become the lens that frames their views of the world. However, for media to be meaningful it needs to fulfill the roles of being able to deliver utility, strike an emotional chord and content that is reliable.
2. Woke through tech: Singaporean Gen Z’s are aware and want to be involved in socio-cultural issues shaping the society. They have taken it upon themselves to be educated and educate others around them. Technology and access to information has empowered them to not only raise their voice against social concerns but also help to equip them with practical skills.
3. In my own skin: Gen Z’s are proud of who they are. They prefer to be in their own skin than to be told who they should aspire to be which means having full control of how they define themselves in real life.
4. Need for social: Singaporean Gen Z’s actively seek meaningful connections through media be it online or offline. Besides using media to connect with new people who share the same passion, media also facilitates relationships in real life. In Gen Z relationships, there is no division between the online and offline and virtual actions have an impact on friendships in real life.
5. Expert navigators: As digital natives Gen Z’s are adept at maximizing the value a platform can bring for them and well aware of where to go and how to engage with content in order to get what they want, making them expert navigators of platforms.
Why was this report produced?
• “Gen Z is driving a greater focus on rethinking traditional hierarchies when it comes to consumer behavior and marketing and we felt that clarity in understanding their mindset and expectation will unlock potential opportunities for brands. We are excited to collaborate with SGAG, who are known for their huge Gen Z following and we hope the insights uncovered in the report will help brands in customizing their communication strategies to be more relatable and meaningful,” said Jacqui Lim, group chief executive, Havas Singapore.
• “With the Gen Z audience forming a large segment of our audience mix, it is critical for us to deep dive to understand the lens that they see the world through. In our first-ever partnership with Havas Singapore, we hope these insights will spark new ideas and conversations that will help brands foster a deeper connection with Gen Z’s,” said Karl Mak, co-founder, SGAG.
To read the report ... CLICK HERE !!
If you would like to get a copy of the report ... CLICK HERE !!
|About the Author:
Shawn Lim is a multimedia reporter at The Drum who writes stories, films and produces the title’s editorial video output about the industry around the Asia Pacific region, with a focus on Singapore and Southeast Asia. He has a regular column called 'Unsung Heroes', where he shines the spotlight on the underdogs in the industry.
Based in Singapore, he has worked across photography, video and online, covering a range of subjects including current affairs and sports. Prior to working with The Drum, Shawn was a Creative Producer for Ortus Media (Singapore) and an Assistant Producer (Editorial & Multimedia) for Channel News Asia.
Visit The Drum on the web at: https://www.thedrum.com/asia-pacific
The opinions expressed are those of the author.